It's going to be that time of the year again that most if not all dog owners dread. 4th of July. Don't get me wrong, I love celebrating it but having a dog practically my entire life, I spend half the time consoling him for at least 3 days. At least in my experience growing up in the Coachella Valley and experiencing all the illegal fireworks that get set off and are really loud!
So I've decided to write some tips that I've used in the past and still do to this day. Hope they help keep your pup safe and sane this Fourth Of July <3
- Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. If there's a spill, throw some water over it to dilute it in case they try and lick it off the ground. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets, make them weak, depressed or go into a coma.
- Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent on your pet unless it's labeled for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of a repellent containing DEET could cause your pet neurological problems.
- Keep citronella candles, insect coils and tiki torch oil products out of reach, Ingestion can cause stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in your pet.
- Macy's firework show and cozy home. Do not take your pets to the local firework show no matter how badly you want to go. It's a small sacrifice you have to pay but I wouldn't even call it a sacrifice. Do you really want to deal with all the craziness that's going about to and at the show? Just have a nice get together BBQ with friends and enjoy the firework show on your TV.
- Keep your pets indoors at all times. If you yourself will be lighting fireworks outside, then I urge you to bring your dog inside even if it's inside your garage and crank up the TV/Radio to drown out the fireworks. Don't forget to bring his water bowl inside too.
- Keep your dog collared with ID tags and microchips. If worst comes to worst and they escape your yard at least you'll know you took the proper steps to hopefully find him soon or someone contact you that night if found.